A guildhall was built on the Market Place in Derby.
1509 – 1530 AD
The tower at All Saints Church, (now Derby Cathedral) was rebuilt.
A parish workhouse was erected in St. Peter’s Churchyard.
Derby’s oldest public house – Ye Olde Dolphin – received its first license.
Henry VIII passed an Act of Supremacy in 1534 which led to the dissolution of the monasteries. Five years later the monastery site on Friar Gate was surrendered.
The Old Grammar School in Derby received a Royal Charter. Luminaries of the school included Rev. John Cotton (1585 – 1652), one of the founders of Boston, Massachusetts; John Flamstead FRS (1646 – 1719), the first Astronomer Royal and Joseph Wright ARA (1734 – 1797), the celebrated artist.
Joan Waste was found guilty of heresy and burnt at the stake on Windmill Pit, just off Burton Road in Derby.
Mary, Queen of Scots, spent the night in Derby staying at Babington Hall which stood on the corner of St. Peter’s Street and what is now Babington Lane.
On July 24, Nicholas Garlick, Robert Ludlam and Richard Sympson were executed in Derby. All three were Catholic priests and therefore, under the law of the land at that time, guilty of high treason. The three men were hung, drawn and quartered on St. Mary’s Bridge and their severed heads were placed on the bridge as a warning to anyone entering or leaving the town.
Two archers and three billmen were sent from Derby as a contribution to the force that ultimately defeated the Spanish Armada.
An outbreak of the Black Death killed 464 people in Derby.
The Countess of Shrewsbury – Bess of Hardwick – created a workhouse and hospital in the All-Saints’ parish.
Ye Olde Dolphin Inn – (see 1530 AD)
Stained glass window in St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Derby of Nicholas Garlick – (see 1558 AD)